Who we are
Dr. Shaw Mead
Dr Mead is currently an environmental scientist and managing director at eCoast Marine Consulting and Research in Raglan, New Zealand. Shaw’s background in coastal oceanography and marine ecology, specialising in numerical modelling, coastal processes, erosion control, coastal amenity enhancement and ecological assessment, allows him to effectively bridge the multi-disciplinary gap between physical processes and marine ecological impacts.. Shaw has worked as an environmental consultant for over 25 years in New Zealand and worldwide, and regularly works internationally, having published 55 papers in peer-reviewed journals many of which focus on surf science, and jointly produced over 350 technical reports pertaining to a wide range of marine developments. These days his consulting expertise has him spending a great deal of time in Fiji; he works all around the South Pacific islands on climate change resilience and adaptation projects.
Dr. Mead’s PhD thesis is entitled “Incorporating High-Quality Surfing Breaks into Multi-purpose Reefs”, he has written (along with co-author, Dr Jose Borrero) 2 chapters for the post-graduate and practitioner’s text book titled Marine and Coastal Resource Management: Principles and Practise (Chapter 16 – Beach Management and Chapter 20 -Surf Science and Multi-Purpose Reefs), and supervised numerous MSc and PhD candidates in all areas of surf science.
Shaw has been surfing for over 37 years, and although he has lived beside (and surfed) some for the world’s best point breaks in Raglan for the past 25 years, he has travelled to many of the world’s prime surfing locations and continues to visit surf breaks around the world for both business and pleasure.
Qualifications and Professional Memberships:
- PhD (Coastal Oceanography and Numerical Modelling)
- Master of Science (Enviro. Sci./Mar. Eco/Aquaculture.)
- Bachelor of Science (Zoo/Bot)
- Member of New Zealand Coastal Society (ENZ)
- Editorial Board for the Journal of Coastal Conservation, Planning and ManagementMember of the New Zealand Fiji Business Council
- Registered Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) consultant in Fiji (coastal processes, coastal engineering, marine ecology, numerical modelling)
- Marine Ecology – 26 years
- Contract/Project Management – 22 years
- Coastal oceanography – 24 years
- Coastal development projects – 23 years
Anthony Marcotti’s background is in tourism and development. His primary focus has been on operating surfing trips in the Mentawai Islands of Indonesia where he was a founder, partner, booking, and marketing manager in one of the most successful surf resorts in the world, Kandui Resort. From 2005 to 2012 he was also the sole booking agent and marketing manager for Martin Daly’s Indies Trader fleet. Prior to that he operated his own surf charter operation in the Mentawai Islands called Saraina Koat Mentawai where he oversaw six boats. In the past 20 years he has surfed and explored every part of Indonesia and has sent over 13,000 people on surf trips of their own to this area. His lifelong passion is the pursuit of perfect waves.
Anthony also owns and operates a surf travel agency called World Wave Expeditions which sends surfers to locations all over the world. World Wave Expeditions was established in 2008 and has allowed Anthony to explore every corner of the surfing universe including all over the United States, Fiji, New Zealand, Australia, Hawaii, Mexico, Canada, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, El Salvador, South Africa, Namibia, and more.
Starting in 2012, Anthony has partnered with a group of friends to create a one-of-a-kind development on Malolo Island in Fiji called Vunabaka. Vunabaka is a residential and hotel development in a private tropical island paradise. It encompasses 120 acres of hill-top, marina, ocean, and beach front sites centered around the Six Senses Fiji, a five star boutique hotel.
- Bachelors Degree in Social Sciences from the University of California Irvine (1997)
- Teaching Credential from National University (Elementary Education)
- Owner: Saraina Koat Mentawai Surf Charter Business (2002 – 2008)
- Exclusive Booking Agent and Marketing Manager: Indies Trader Adventure Travel (2005 – 2012)
- Founder, Partner, Booking Agent, and Marketing Manager: Kandui Resort (2004 – 2018)
- Founder and Partner: Vunabaka Bay Fiji Limited (2012 – Present)
- Owner: World Wave Expeditions (2008 – Present)
- Owner: Surf Sleep Travel (2019 – Present)
Ed Atkin, M.Sc.
Ed’s core background is in coastal processes and oceanography, specializing in surf science, surfing resource management, multipurpose reefs, field data collection and numerical modelling. His current roles include director and senior consultant at eCoast Marine Consulting and Research, also leading the eCoast fieldwork team; co-chair of the International Association of Surfing Research, trustee to the New Zealand Association for Surfing Research, technical advisor to a number of NGO’s concerned with surf break preservation, anda PhD Candidate at the University of Waikato, New Zealand.
Ed has been a surfer for over 20 years and involved with surf science since 2005. Surfing was a driving force for many of his travels, witnessing different cultures but a swath of different wave types. As a surf scientist there is a continual desire to understand how and why each wave breaks in the way it does. This experience combined with the technical training he has received and a decade of professional development consulting to a wide range of clients buts him in an ideal position to explore the possibilities of surf break creation. Ed has completed technical reports and research projects across a wide range of disciplines and has worked extensively across New Zealand and the Pacific Islands, and been a part research teams, worldwide. and uses his understanding of coastal processes in investigations that address wave breaking quality changes.
Qualifications and Professional Memberships:
- Master of Science (Hons, Oceanography, University of Southampton)
- Higher National Diploma (Marine Science, University of Plymouth)
- BTEC National Diploma (Marine Engineering, Falmouth Marine School)
- Oceanographic Data Collection: >17 years
- Contract/Project Management >7 years
- Coastal Processes >18 years
- Surf Science >14 years
- Numerical Modelling >10 years
In Memory of Sonny Miller
The World Wave Project is dedicated to the memory of our friend Sonny Miller. Sonny spent his life traveling and documenting new destinations, their cultures, and their waves on The Search program. His energy and enthusiasm for life and passion for surf exploration is the key driving force and inspiration behind this initiative. RIP Sonny.
- Sonny Miller
- Andrew Shield
- Grant Ellis
- Anthony Fox
- Cory Scott
- Brian Nevins
- Alice from WavePark
- Brody Jenner
- Hans Zimmer